The ideal age to start your puppy in a preschool program is 2-4 months of age.
What to Expect
North Road Veterinary Centre
PUPPY PRESCHOOL CLASSES
Dear Puppy Owner,
Welcome to puppy classes at the North Road Veterinary Centre. Over the next 4 weeks, we are going to help you get the best possible start to training, socialising and handling your puppy.
Some of the things you will learn are:
- How to mange common puppy behaviour and domestic issues effectively.
- How to socialise your puppy to other dogs and the 'human' world they live in.
- A head start with your puppy's basic obedience training, whilst developing good leadership and handling skills.
- How to make sure the time spent with your puppy is an enjoyable experience for both of you.
Over the next 4 weeks we will cover the topics listed below, and incorporate socialisation into the mix. Depending on the needs of the group, we will spend varying amounts of time on any area. If you have questions about a topic listed here, please do not hesitate to ask. Generally I will end each session with a Q & A time to assist any specific issues covered in the class.
- Diet and Nuitrition guidelines
- Training equipment- what and how to use it
- Socialisation- where, how and why
- Using toys and games as a training tool
- Understanding how to be a responsible pet owner
Common Puppy Behaviour Problems
- House Training
- Independence training and establishing leadership
- Attention seeking and destructive behaviours: mouthing, biting, chewing, barking and jumping up
Basic Obedience Training
- Introduction to correct way to handle the lead
- Social walking
- Manners on lead
- Placement (going to a place/spot/area/bed)
- Introduction to recall
Topics will be divided between the 4 sessions with most of the obedience being taught in weeks 1 & 2 ( to allow you time to practise during the week) and behavioural topics and socialisation covered in more depth in later sessions. Time will also be set aside for an off lead puppy communication session and extra time allowed to review your puppy's obedience, review your handling abilities and provide feedback on how to improve your techniques.
Hope you enjoy the class.
Happy Hounds Dog Training