A healthy set of teeth and gums is essential for your pet's long-term preventative wellness program.
Maintaining your pet's oral health from the start can help prevent dental disease, it is a lifelong commitment.
Dental disease is one of the most common conditions diagnosed in companion animals. 80% of dogs and 70% of cats over the age of 3 years show signs of gum disease.
Common senior health issues can relate to an unhealthy mouth.
Untreated dental disease results in infection and discomfort in the mouth and may lead to serious health problems.
At North Road Veterinary Centre, we advise appropriate strategies to maintain oral health, and have a fully-equipped dental facility on site to diagnose and treat dental disease.
Regular dental checks every 6-12 months are important, as often early signs of dental disease are not detected by owners.
Dental check ups, with ongoing home care management helps maintain healthy teeth and gums, decreasing the need for dental procedures.
Treating Dental Disease
Unfortunately, even though animal dentistry is very similiar to human dentistry, we do not have the luxury of being able to adequately assess and treat dental disease in dogs and cats whilst they are awake.
Dental procedures are performed under general anaesthesia. The treatment required is dependant on the grade of dental disease and may vary from a scale and polish only, to a large number of tooth extractions in very advanced disease.
What to Expect during a Veterinary Dental Procedure
- Day procedure, your pet is admitted early in the morning and discharged in the evening.
- General anaesthesia.
- Oral examination.
- Dental Radiographs (depending on outcomes of assessment).
- Teeth scaling to remove tartar and plaque.
- Teeth polish.
- Gum irrigation to remove debris.
- Assessment of abnormal gum pockets.
- Teeth extractions may be required in more advanced disease.
- Tooth and gum procedures depending on findings.
- Administration of pain relief and antibiotics where required.
- Comprehensive after care communication
- Revisit check with home management strategies